Thursday 28 March 2013

Hot Cross Buns ... Hot Cross Buns ......

Hi there :)  Well a Happy Easter to you too :)  its almost upon us .. a time for reflection, perhaps a visit to church and of course the over indulgence of goodies including chocolate and hot cross buns.

This morning I made two batches of Hot Cross Buns ... the traditional fruit variety and a chocolate variety.  They both turned out delicious!  So I thought I would share this very easy recipe with you.  Now of course this recipe is half real and half tinkered with ... if you know what I mean ..... especially the chocolate one.

You know me ... I can't stand the huge amounts of fat and sugar in things so I must tweak it ...... but these are by no means healthy!  So don't eat too many :)

This recipe makes 6 good sized Hot Cross Buns.

Ingredients

1  3/4         cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bread improver
3 teaspoons caster sugar
3 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons butter (or margarine)
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 to 1 cup of mixed fruit (I used mixed fruit and peel)

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (except fruit).
Add butter and warm water.
Combine to form a dough.
Turn out onto a lightly floured board (I use a silicone mat from Bosco) and knead for 3-5 minutes
Place in lightly oiled bowl and rest for 15 minutes.
Stretch out dough and add fruit then knead for another 3 minutes or so .. until the fruit is well combined.
Put it back in the bowl and let it rest for another 10 minutes
Dived dough into 6 even pieces and roll into balls.
Place the balls on a greased tray (I use a tray with baking paper to cut back on oils) giving them enough room to double in size.
Allow to rest in a warm area until doubled in size (mine took 40 minutes) (while this is happening preheat your oven to 190 degrees celcius)
Pipe a cross on each one and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and add glaze while still hot.

Cross Mixture is - 1/2 cup cornflour, 2 tablespoons caster sugar (optional), 1 tablespoon plain flour and  3-4 tablespoons of water .... mix to a stiff paste.  Pop it into a zip lock bag and snip a tiny bit off the corner .. voila a piping bag.

Glaze - 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice and 2 tablespoons water.  Stir over heat until it boils gently.  Remove from heat and brush over the buns while still hot.

For the chocolate buns I did exactly the same except I left out the fruit and added 3/4 cup chocolate chips and I also used a tiny bit less flour and added 1/4 cup cocoa powder.

I hope you enjoy them ....

 the traditional hot cross bun mix


 the chocolate mix .. before the chocolate chips
spread evenly apart on tray   
 doubled in size

 the cross mixture

 the finished glossy, sweet, sticky buns.

mmmm light and fluffy ... YUM!

Happy Easter ... may you enjoy and safe and fun weekend.
xoxoxo Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave me a lovely comment